Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Testing surprise

Dada came up at the start of the lesson and said she had good and bad news. I think she exaggerated both.

The bad news was that we aren't riding in a show this weekend. The arena or whatever had no mounting ramp, and while I have mounted often without a ramp, it isn't worth it. Weather looks questionable. We did not have ride times; we were hoping for cancellations.

The good news was that there will be a show at Frying Pan Park. I am learning a tougher test for that show.

It is tough. A big circle, which always turned out misshapen, a serpentine, which I forgot how to ride until Dada said "Where are you going? Straight." It also had several other patterns I had not done in months.

I got it memorized so now I should do better, but it was a real workout of a lesson. I don't get sore, but when I am concentrating real hard, my mouth gets real dry. It was real dry yesterday, let me tell you.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

One of the things I was always taught was to visualise the circle (or serpentine, or figure 8) on the ground. It's especially useful when you haven't got an arena to fix the boundaries.

Matt said...

I think that was totally it, Ro. I had no pattern ingrained in my mind. Now I do. I have been riding it in my mind all week.