Saturday, April 28, 2007

Getting better all the time

One of these days I will have a bad lesson, one when I think I rode poorly. But not today.

When I got there, I saw Dada and Kate had rearranged the fields so one was an official dressage ring size. The riding went really well. I need to do a little better on my serpentines and the first part of my figure eight, but I am feeling great about riding. It is such a joy to be outside feeling the ground move underneath me without any wheeled conveyance. And with good friends!

I rode one of the three tests I will be riding in June. One of the tests is freestyle, so that one is not made yet. I make it up (well Dada does). There are just certain maneuvers you must perform, and it is set to music. Yes, just like freestyle figure skating. And my partner will be another guy even, so it will be just like Blades of Glory.

I have to find the other test online tonight.

Louie was so easy to read today. I knew why he stopped or walked backward or whatever. And I didn't have as much of the balkiness I did last week.

My friend Donna also rode for the first time. She also uses a service dog and it was funny to compare Claren and her dog, Cagney. Cagney was all jittery when Donna rode and wouldn't let her out of his site. When I ride, Claren hunts for horse poop to eat.

It was also a special day because I got to meet the latest addition to Spirit's stable, Angel. I like her long white sock.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Matt, You look so happy on Louie in this latest picture!! I know that you have waited all winter to ride on a regular basis. I can see that you are back and going again and it's just wonderful. I'm so happy for you. Hey, don't let Claren eat that horse poop, she might puke it up in your Dad's van....ewwww. Can't wait to see your pictures next week. Isn't that Angel a beauty! Oh boy, I wish I were there. Have a good week.

Matt said...

No, no puking for Claren. She hunts for the poop, but we don't let her eat it.

I am going to start riding twice a week for a while to get better prepared for the competition. Hope you get up here!