Saturday, April 14, 2007

Best ever

Well, that's what Kate said of my ride today.

It was really awesome. I don't have any proof, though, because my dad – my official photographer – wasn't there. That did make it trickier than usual to get on Louie, too, but after that we had a good time.

I seem, just in the past few weeks, to be able to keep my back straight and sit up, not hunched forward. Louie responds so much better. I don't know why I am just now getting it.

I think a lot of credit goes to the strap that lets me hold something and sit straight. Even if it was a hassle to get on. We forgot till after I had mounted, so Kate and Dada were trying to loop it through parts of the saddle. Louie kept moving forward. Eventually, Dada said to me, he is moving because you are digging your heels into him. I thought I was just holding on to Louie with my legs. Whoops!

When we got the strap fixed on the saddle, the ride was great. Kate said I was straight and not wobbly. Louie is wonderful. He rides close to the rail and responds really easily. I tried to go through corners just using my body to turn him, not the reins. And it worked!

I used the reins on circles and I even made some circular shapes. I am not sure how I will do without Dada as the center of the circle, but I will get there.

We also figured out that I ride better when no one touches me or is even too near. Dada and Kate spent most of the lesson at a distance, so it was just me and Louie. It was great.

And we'll get a chance to show off June 9 and 10 at Morven Park at the VADA/Nova Summer Dressage show.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you. I can't wait to bring your biggest fans to see you ride in Leesburg. Yeah uncle Matt!

Anonymous said...

Very fine. I am sorry that Dad was not there to photograph things. I hope that we can get up to see you at Morven on the 10th.

BT

Anonymous said...

You wonder why you are riding better? It's all that time you spent on the Think System of Dressage.
xxoo
JTG

Matt said...

Thanks. It is really fun.

Unknown said...

All I can say is awesome -- "circles, circles and more circles" -- big and small cicles trakcing right, larger circles tracking left, circling right, cirling left -- could make a guy dizzy!! Perfect -- you and Louie are the "dynamic duo" -- your loyal fan!!

Unknown said...

Okay, Matt, so spelling isn't my forte -- I like circles anyway! Oh, and one more thing -- while you were circling, Louie's neck had a magnificent arch -- and you had a strong, straight balanced seat -- like I said the "dynamic duo" -- team work....June, yes!

Matt said...

I didn't see Louie's neck, awesome.