Saturday, April 21, 2007

I need to get rhythm

I practiced my dressage test today, and it went pretty well.

It is not very hard, but it has two figure 8's and two serpentine patterns between the side and the middle of the ring. By serpentine I mean the pattern shown in figure 3 here but it is not the full width of the ring, just half the width.

That actually was kind of tough because our ring is a little narrow to begin width so I was turning a little sharper than normal, I think, to try to get Louie to touch the sides in the right places.

I did do the figure 8 circles a little better, not perfect by any means. One time Louie just stopped mid-8. Dada is aware of everything that goes on in Spirit field, I think, so when Louie stopped walking and stared at a shrub, she said there is something in there moving. There was, but I never saw it. Louie did, though, and he did not want to turn his back on it. Dada said to give him a little reminder with the reins when this happens to make sure he knows I am in charge.

He also stopped to relieve himself mid-test. I had trouble getting into a good rhythm. Once Dada caught me using my hands to adjust myself and pointed out that that was why Louie had stopped. Dada said I should just repeat "rhythm" to keep us walking.

Kate and the others there thought I looked great. I think Kate may be right when she said all the dressage I rode in my mind when it was too snowy or muddy to ride might be paying off.

Oh, and it was so nice out!

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh Matt how beautiful things look at Spirit's field. Look at little Lexie staring at you and Louie. You look absolutely great on Louie. I hope to be up for your Morvan Park show. Miss you all. Love, Lynne

Matt said...

I hope you make it, Lynne. I feel like I am really riding better just in the past few weeks.

Unknown said...

Okay, Matt, admit it -- there was no break in riding your dressage pattern over the winter -- you were riding on the sly!! You fox, you! Kate