Saturday, June 30, 2007

Hurts so good

A real good lesson today, I think, even though it is 11 p.m. and my foot muscles still hurt.

To keep my legs from pushing the stirrups and my feet toward the front of the horse, Dada tied the stirrups on to the saddle in the back. My feet, which tend to drop, were held straight.

It worked perfectly: I felt steadier and I could use my legs better to urge Louie on (now, I just have to remember to do it consistently instead of occasionally). It was also easier to use my legs to shift my weight to the left so I don't always hang off Louie's right.

The only downside was that my feet weren't used to being in that position and they started hurting as I rode. By the end of the lesson, my leg was having spasms when I tried to shift my weight.

But it was a good lesson. Take a look at the photo. Louie looks pretty good, right? I think he is collected even. And he walked like that for a while, even did a few circles like that.

Apparently I am no longer a beginner. Dada used to tell me to look at the center of the circle to ride it. Today, though, she told me to watch where I was going and that you only look at the center when you are starting out. Huh.

And I am glad when I am sore. I figure it means a muscle is being tested.

Dada is one smart cookie.

And the lesson was good even after we finished. Lisa brought me a breakfast sandwich and took Claren for a dip in her pool there at Baileywyck Farm. And Kate didn't even complain about having a damp dog in her car for the ride home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You look great in the photo, both of you.
xxoo
JTG