Saturday, May 05, 2007

Ride of independence

On the way home from my lesson today, mom said something like: I never would have thought you’d be riding alone after seeing that first lesson not quite two years ago.

Me either. But I am!

Today, no one touched me or Louie except to help me on and off and a little cooling-down lap when Dada guided Louie. It was great. Someone should have started humming the national anthem or something.

I performed both tests that I’ll ride next month, and Louie did so well. I still need a little work on the figure 8, but we are getting a pretty decent rhythm down. It was especially good on the first ride.

On the second one Louie decided to have a little snack during a free walk and lowered his head and stopped. I was able to get him going again and Dada said if he does that again to give him a little reminder with the reins that I am in charge. I need to remember the word little.” He started to snack again and I gave the reins a jerk that brought his head straight up. Sorry, Louie.

Dada also is working on my legs and feet. She emphasizes using my legs to get a rhythm going and keep it going. I often stop working my legs when we are going OK. Whoops. She said to use a pattern of left-right-left-right, I guess like walking. I need to get the rhythm of walking back.

When my feet are in stirrups, the front part of my foot pushes down. That is not how it is supposed to work, so Dada has started telling me to push my heels down. It is hard! But it feels better and I guess it is a good sign that Dada feels good enough about my riding to deal with the heel issue.

For my last ride I did a freestyle test. It includes a double figure 8 that is quite challenging.

But it is all so fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,
I haven't checked your blog in a while so it is SO COOL to see how great your rides have been going!!! Isn't it amazing how success and motivation just feed on each other? When things are going this well, it's hard to concentrate on work when you know you'll be going to the barn afterward!
And, of all your recent posts, I have to say the "Blades of Glory" comment actually got me laughing out loud. I guess its true -- you even have to wear the tight pants and everything. Yes, dressage is just like figure skating ;-)
I think that my riding coach (Missy Ransehousen, who also is the Para team coach) and a bunch of people from my barn are going to the June show at Morven. If so, I'd love to come down and cheer you (and them!) on and actually meet you in the flesh.
Best of luck and keep on truckin' with those figure 8's and circles. It's as much a lesson in high-school geometry as it is a lesson in riding. What kind of grade did you get in geometry?!
Take care and enjoy the beautiful spring weather!
Melissa

Matt said...

thanks, Melissa. I am a math fan so the geometry is OK, but the widths are all metric.

I hope you make it to Morven Park.