Saturday, March 31, 2007

What a ride

Wow, I missed riding.

Today was only the fourth time I have been on a horse since November, and I missed it. The day was close to perfect: sunny and dry.

Kate and Dada reconfigured the riding area to make it really long rectangle. I couldn't believe what a difference it made. It was so cool to ride Louie down the long straight-aways. I didn't go fast or anything, but he builds up a head of steam and I really felt great riding with him.

The vest is a little huge, but it really does a wonderful job keeping me sitting straight, don't you think?

I am riding with a dressage saddle, so I don't have a saddle horn or anything to hold on to except Louie's neck, which is pretty strong. I think, though, Dada is going to put some other bit of tack, real or improvised, on to give me something to grab.

Again, the only bad part was getting off Louie. I think I stop before I am really exhausted to keep from riding too long, but I wonder if I should push myself more.

Of course, it was my first ride in almost a month. I think stamina will come.

After I rode, my friend Caroline rode. She hadn't ridden in almost five years when she started riding a few months ago. I couldn't believe how good she looked on Louie. I may need to ride twice a week or she'll get better than me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look great. I can't wait to see you again in person.
ejd

Pony Tail Club said...

You look great in the photo! Have you heard of a Charlie Brown strap? I'm not sure if that is what they are really called, but you connect it to your saddle and it forms a little loop you can hold on to. Glad you got to ride!

Matt said...

Thanks! A Charlie Brown strap may be what my teacher has planned. I'll let you know next week.

Unknown said...

HI, Matt! Hear, hear to riding twice a week!! Go for it -- Louie's ready and waiting -- besides if we don't get a saddle on him soon, he's going to need a larger girth! it's not easy to consume massive amounts of food 16 hours a day -- give that boy some exercise!!