Monday, July 17, 2006

Where there's a whip, there's a way

This entry would be a whole lot funnier if my grandmother hadn’t broken her hip last night.

My lesson this week had great comedic potential, and I learned from it, too. I got on Bella and rode her into the ring. Then I stopped her while Kate, one of the volunteers, got something for Dada. It was a riding crop!

"Uh-ho, Bella," I said, although I wasn't sure how exactly I would hold one, let alone use it.

Dada started to slide the crop under my left arm, and I thought she wanted me to hold it in my armpit. But she didn't stop sliding, and before I knew it she stuck it behind my back and in front of my right arm. The reason, she said, was to make me sit straight, although she and Kate were laughing at the time.

It felt pretty good actually. It was crazy hard, but Bella really responded well to me. I hope I can teach my body to balance better. Dada thinks I can, but sometimes I think we are doing something that will never get a lot better because of my disability. We'll see.

No comments: