Saturday, February 03, 2007

Spirit Triumphant

We did it! Spirit Field is real! And I rode!

Today was the day I have been waiting for. Judging by the crowd that watched my first lesson and the opening of Spirit Field, others have been looking forward to it as well.

We were at least 20 people joined together by a love of horses, riding and one amazing woman. I'd like to think they were all there to see my dramatic return to the ring but I know better: They were there to support Dada and marvel at what she has put together in just a few months.

I was worried early in the day that I might spoil it by committing an egregious equestrian fashion faux pas: I could not find my black practice riding pants and thought I'd have to wear my dress whites that are for competition only. In regular fashion it would be like wearing white shoes after Labor Day. I found the black pants but wish now I had worn the white ones and my tux because it was such an occasion.

There was food, drink, a cake that said "Spirit rules." The only thing missing was the warm weather. It was a little chilly. I didn't notice because I had on my helmet over a hood, and a monster protective vest over my body and half-chaps over my legs.

Then I got on Louie. I am comfortable enough in my sexuality to say that.

He was so great. He was easy to ride and easily motivated to walk. A little too easy, actually. I tried encouraging him by clicking my tongue a few times and he about started to trot.

He responds really well to the reins, too, so I have to go easy on him, and he does not mind walking close to the wall at all.

In short, he was a dream. Again, comfortable enough to say that about a guy.

Dada said at one point, "There is that smile." I don't think that smile disappeared the entire time I was riding. It was definitely there when we were trotting. I totally can't see a thing because my head bounces around so much but it is so fun.

And that wasn't all. After I rode, Caroline, who hadn't been on a horse in four years, gave Louie a workout.

It was a great day. Thank you to everyone who came out and those who couldn't make it but had us in their hearts and minds.

I'm riding again!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, Matt, did you have to make me cry? I hate it when my mascara runs -- you were right in part that we were there for love of Dada, but also for love of you! I have to thank LMU over and over for giving me the chance to cross paths with the likes of all the incredible people I met there. Blessed and blessed, and blessed again.

And yes, dress whites would have been appropriate, but you can don those again in Morven Park, and England!!

And you and Louie did make a dashing couple -- not that I'm alluding to anything....Spirit looked jealous however -- it's no fun to be banished to the outer sanctum!

Can't wait for next week -- who sang "Weve only just begun"?? Was it the Carpenter's (no, I can't be that old....)

Here's to triumphe!! Love, Kate

Matt said...

Oh man, I can't believe I missed it.

matt

Lynne said...

So glad you had a great day. The picture says it all. You, Dada, Kate and Louie. Together again, riding and being happy. All the work that went into this day, and as Kate said "It's only just begun". Sky's the limit now, Matt! Go for it. See you next Saturday. Your friend, Lynne

Anonymous said...

Oh, Matty! So, so great. I expect an uptick in the other blog.
Love,
Judy