Saturday, February 10, 2007

Curves are tough

I got one lesson to get used to riding again; today Dada the dressage taskmaster was back (just kidding, Dada!). Actually, I was glad to get into it again. I like riding, but it is even more fun to try to guide the horse through the dressage moves.

We ride two tests that I will have to ride in the competition at Morven Park. I also have to ride a third test, a freestyle one, where there are certain compulsory moves.

The first test was the team test. It wasn't too hard, although I got confused by one of the serpentine moves. In serpentines, you make an "S" kind of shape with an extra curve, so three curves. The test called for a narrow one around the center line, but I did one between the side and the center line. I know what you are thinking, "Buy a clue, Matt."

The individual test was next. That was harder, especially the figure of eight with 8-meter circles. I do know what circles look like, but it is awful hard to ride them, especially 8-meter ones because you really need to feel your way. There are no letters at 8-meter intervals. One of the hardest things is that to make the circle look good the horse needs to curve his body. You do that by pushing with your leg, but my legs are a weak point in this killer body. My right leg is especially bad, which is odd cause I am right-handed, but I sit too much on the left I am told, and when I shift to the right, Dada likes it but I feel very unsteady. This is fixable,, I know. I am not discouraged or anything. We got some improvement by making the right stirrup lower than the left.

This was my sister Emily's favorite picture. She yelled out to our mom when she saw it: "There's a picture of Matt on the horse and four women looking up at him." Of course, they are my teacher and helpers. I will know when I have truly arrived on the dressage scene by one thing: dressage groupies. Maybe they will throw their jodhpurs at me. Maybe not.

It was a fun day, still cold. Our friend Lynne, who was one of my first side-walkers, came by to see me ride. That was great.

Now I am off to study the tests to memorize them and ride them in my mind. It will be like "The Music Man." If you think dressage, you will ride dressage.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Matt -- if it's any consolation -- the first day Lynne was here, Dad gave us each a chance to ride Louie, and I was supposed to do the dressage rountine so Dada could time it. She explained it -- the pattern, the serpentines, the smaller cicles (although I had no "paper" -- can I say I'm "visual" as my excuse??)-- this is the consolation part, I did the serpentines away from the center line (closer to the edge of the ring), and did the smaller circles the incorrect number of meters (I hate meters, I like yards, and feet...)-- how's that for success!! Better you at Morven Part than me -- I'm much better on the ground.

And you're a better student too -- I got annoyed with Dada, and got off!! So much for perserverance!! At least you stayed on, and practiced more patterns -- hey, maybe it was because you were surrounded my women (and one teenager, no less), and I just had Dada and Lynne laughing from "X" -- I hope Louie doesn't know his letters and width of circles...he probably does, but we just can't hear him laughing at those of us who don't "get it" --

Look forward to next Saturday -- you were perfect!! And it'll be interesting to see the difference using the dressage saddle. It'll probably help with the "leaning to the left thing" --

And let's hope it's WARMER, or at least, not windy!! And lastly, why do you always talk about things from my generation -- like th music from "Music Man" -- it really is humbling to be so old as to rememebr having to practice all those songs on the piano after homework....

Love, Kate

Matt said...

In The Music Man, Ritchie Cunningham was in the band that did not have instruments. But Professor Harold Hill told them that if they just played the song in their mind, they would be able to play it for real.

As to why I know this: My family is off and into musicals.

Pony Tail Club said...

We just discovered your blog and love it. Can't wait to hear more about your riding and dressage.

Anonymous said...

Iwould say that your family has a rare appreciation for the delights of the musical theater!

I like the think system for dressage. Happy riding.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think that if you think dressage you will ride dressage is accurate. Sports therapists say that if you visualize your activity consistently, you train your neurons to respond when you are physically engaged in the activity. Also, fie on goodness!
JTG

Unknown said...

So, Matt, with the philosphy of Harold Hill -- if I just think of the dressage pattern in my mind, would I be able to do it for real? I think we should just tell Louie to rememebr it himself and at the right speed too, and the corrrect uniformity and the saluting and all that stuff you have to rememebr -- or not, according to Harold Hill --

and maybe there weren't instruments, but I sure had to practice those songs on the piano...Guess who

Matt said...

i am sure that if i keep the dressage pattern in mind, I will ride it right as long as by circles the judegs mean sort-of round polygons. That may be as close as get to riding this week anyway.

And JTG, dressage makes confession Sunday anything but a bore!

Anonymous said...

Matt, I don't know who JTG is, but I sure know what "confession" is -- whew -- I have about 20 years worth to get rid of - Catholic girls, Bruce Springsteen and all that stuff...give me a dressage pattern anyday -- maybe I can visualize it...

Matt said...

You don't need to go to confession because of Bruce Springsteen. Listening to him might even wipe a few years off a stay in purgatory.

Unknown said...

Matt, I love the way you ALWAYS make me laugh!! When I read your words, I always break into a wide grin (even when I'm sitting alone at the computer and my kids ask me why I'm sitting there laughing all by myself)....

I sure hope you're right about the purgatory thing -- I did enough plenary indulgence when I was a preteen for an entire roomful of people....and that's no laughing matter!!