Monday, November 13, 2006

Ride 'em, cowboy

Maybe I won't ever be confused with a rootin', tootin' cowboy, but I did some real riding today. On Andy!

Andy is not a riding horse really. He is a good therapeutic riding horse, but that means he is good at walking with a leader.

But I got him walking today. Dada said it was the best Andy had ever been ridden. She also said she couldn't have done better. That, I know, is a lie. A nice lie, though.

Kate said how good I looked. She thought I felt bad about how my riding was going because I was laughing most of the time. Far from it, I just thought it was funny how hard I was working just to get Andy to walk. Andy takes frequent breaks, too, to relieve himself, which doesn't lend itself to serious riding.

Bella is still lame. Dada says she's improving, but there is no timetable for getting her back and under saddle. Charm remains ostracized. I actually offered to buy Charm with the money donated to the program for me. That didn't go over too well. We are still working on the best way to use that money.

So I may be riding Andy awhile. He will be my trainer. He improves my balance because his swagger keeps me rebalancing. He improves my leg strength because his stubbornness keeps my legs working overtime. He is a good guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt--
If you become a real cowboy then you could be someone's huckleberry.
I'm jealous.

Emily

Matt said...

That would be awesome! Can I also start saying to people, "You ain't no daisy; you ain't no daisy at all"?