Monday, October 23, 2006

Matt’s trotting

Bella is on the injured reserve with some lameness, and Charm has been expelled from Lift Me Up. Well, she still lives there, but she is not riding, or carrying a rider or whatever (More on that later). So a crafty old veteran came through for me. I rode Andy, the first horse I rode at Lift Me Up.

Andy is short, unlike Bella and Charm, but he is real wide. Quite stocky. He also doesn't take direction well. Dada says small horses are often a little stubborn like that. But he is a great follower, so a volunteer led Andy around the trails outside, while Dada and Kate were my sidewalkers.

It is way different, walking on a trail, way more bumpy than a ring. But I really tried to sit straight and hugging tight with my legs. It was hard, but Dada said I looked pretty good. It sure felt good, too.

And Andy trots. I can't trot on my own. I am not sure I ever will be able to, but it is so fun. I hardly breathe, mostly because I am laughing. It is such a neat feeling.

As far as Charm goes: I have a friend who has a farm deep in the heart of horse country, otherwise known as Middleburg. She said she'd love to adopt Charm. One of the benefits: I could ride her sometimes. Yeah!

No comments: