Saturday, November 17, 2007

Straight as an arrow

Go ahead, look at that picture and tell me I don't look good. I dare you.

It was my first cold weather ride, which for me means it was below 55. i wore long johns under my riding pants and my jacket and scarf, and I was quite comfortable. The scarf adds to my dashing look, too.

At the start, Dada pointed out I am not sitting as straight as I had been. I had been leaning forward a bit much. I thought she had told me to lean forward -- I actually feel more comfortable sitting straight.

T seemed to like it, too. She was walking really great. After we were warmed up, we rode through a series of cones. That went really well. She was keeping a rhythm and we were turning this way and that. It was great.

I remembered to look up sometimes -- it is easier to look ahead when I am riding a test because I know what is ahead. In practices, I have to pay attention to Dada and Kate (although she wasn't there today) and other stuff. Competitions are almost easier than practices.

I did remember to keep squeezing and releasing my fingers on the reins so T remembers I am in charge. I don't know if it worked , but she was good with the turns.

I have to work on my walking rhythm. Dada said I don't have to squeeze hard into T's sides to encourage her to walk, but I do need to squeeze in a rhythm. My legs aren't used to that.

But it was a great lesson.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you do look fab. did your sister bring you that scarf from Ireland?
love,
JTG

Lynne said...

Hi Matt! Oh you do look so dashing in your scarf. He He. Glad to see that you are back in the saddle with T. You both look great. How are things going with you? I'll be up for Christmas, and hope that I will get to see you ride then. It's nice and warm down here...in the 70's! I still miss my my home state of VA so much, and, of course, my family and friends. Take care, and thanks for the update. Miss you!

Caroline said...

T's starting to look like a real teddy bear in her winter coat.

How are the ankle braces going? Your position looks great!

Matt said...

Actually, I got the scarf from my mother who got it from my sister. I ran over the one she brought me with the power chair and ruined it.

But I think it does contribute to my dashing-ness. That'll be great, Lynne, I hope I see you even if I can't ride.

And you're right, Ro, T is really getting shaggy. The ankle braces seem to help a lot; I think they are what kept me so straight.

Unknown said...

Hi, Matt! It's Kate -- I just saw this blog entry -- this is the best photo I can remember!! Perfect form, and look at your arms -- the old "straight line from the elbow through the reins to the bit"....nicely done, oh dashing one!

Matt said...

Thanks, Kate. Mom took a great shot.