Saturday, August 04, 2007

Just a pause

I didn't ride last week or today. I sure miss it.

Dada, my teacher, and Golden Dreams, the program in Middleburg, had a falling out. I am not really sure what happened and I am sad about it. I liked riding at Golden Dreams more than I thought I would. It is beautiful and everyone there treated me with great kindness and respect. Plus, Claren and the dog of the stable became great friends. And I never felt out of place wearing breeches.

But I also love riding with Dada and with Kate, and they were returning to Spirit Field, which is nearer to me, and to the program we had started in Spirit Open Equestrian Program. With Dada and Kate I feel safe. I read a story about one of the USA's para-equestrian team riders. He said he had fallen countless times. I have never fallen. I am not sure if that disqualifies me from some cool equestrian club or if it is just a matter of time before I fall. With Dada and Kate, I also know that I will be challenged and forced to give my all. And it's not like anyone is mean to me at Spirit, and I can deal with feeling out of place with my breeches.

So I stayed with Dada. Unfortunately, Louie – the horse I ride – stayed at Golden Dreams. Louie came to Spirit through the connections and work of a woman who now leads Golden Dreams, and there is a disagreement over which program he was donated to. Last night, I heard that Louie's old owners have said they donated him to Spirit. Hopefully, that means he will soon be back at Spirit Field and I will be able to ride again.

If you are confused, that's all right, so am I, and it is my life. Please, though, I ask no one to try to explain what happened or point any fingers of blame on this blog. I just want to ride.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Matt -- you always manage to capture the essence and I feel the same way that you do -- in most every respect -- but of course, for me, the overriding (no puns intended!)goal is to have you back in the saddle -- Louie is such a willing, kind, gentle, and responsive guy (not to mention handsome too) -- I hope to see you on him again in a heartbeat! And I might add that your thoughts about riding with Dada and me made my day! Love, Kate (oh, and BTW, you look dashing in the breeches --especially the white ones!!)

Lynne said...

I can only imagine how you feel, Matt. I feel certain that Dada and Kate will work something out for you..either Louie will come back or there will be another horse for you. After all, they started "Spirit" for you to continue riding. Keep the faith...I am. I'll be up next Wed., Aug 15th and will stay through Sun., Aug. 26th. I hope to see you while I'm home. I'll make sure of it. Miss you, and I look forward to seeing you ride while I'm there. Have a great week. Love, Lynne

:) said...

Spirit went to Middleburg to help start GOLDEND DREAMS...our horses and riders were first visible part of it...now , Golden Dreams grows by it's own,and Spirit Open Equestrian Program is free to come back home... :)
Thanks to Golden Dreams we all got a great life experience.
That is long story in short version...
There is no reason for Louie to come back home, even his former owners confirmed that he has been donated to Spirit, so there is no reason to see you in saddle, soon, Matt...love, Dada

Anonymous said...

Matt,
You are one of the most generous and well spoken people I know. I am so lucky my kids are growing up with you. xo

ejd

Dada said...

Ups...take care if you have firends who do not speak english, and who like to talk :)
I wanted to say that Louie should be home soon...and I hope he will

Anonymous said...

matt
You are rather incredible
love mtc

Caroline said...

They say you have to fall off at least 3 times to be a good rider. That's tosh! I've fallen off loads and it hasn't made me any better!

ps hope you and Louie are reunited soon.

Matt said...

I knew I needed to fall more.

Thank, everyone, hopefully Louie will be back soon so I can work on my tumbling.

Anonymous said...

Matt,
You really are a beautiful writer. I hope you are back in the saddle soon. And to second what someone else said, that whole expression about "it takes X falls to make a rider" just came about to make people feel better about falling off! Falling doesn't make you better; it makes you sore! :-)
Melissa

Matt said...

Thanks! I go to meet my new horse tomorrow, so I'll write more then.

Caroline said...

keeping everything crossed that the intro to the new horse goes OK