Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hamming it up on horseback

I know that I do better in competitions than in practice. That's nothing new. When I was in school, I liked tests.

I always figured it was adrenaline or whatever. Turns out, though, I may just be a ham.

I had a really good lesson today, and Dada decided it was because some friends came out to watch (Thanks, Wendy and Lisa and Janelle and Thomas and Jillian and Liam).

We didn't worry much about keeping Louie too collected -- Dada said she didn't want my head to explode like I wrote last week -- but I just tried to keep my reins straight but not taut.

It worked. Louie walked great. Maybe it was less the reins and he just had a big breakfast, but he was moving, which makes it easier because I don't concentrate so much on kicking him.

Instead, what I did with my legs was post. Well, my version anyway, which I use to reposition myself so I am not always leaning to the right. The hardest part is turning right but not leaning too much into it. Kate seemed quite impressed with my repositioning and posting.

I also became convinced today how much of a Dada's boy Louie is. We were walking, and Dada said just make an easy U-turn, not too sharp, and head back the opposite way. Well, she turned to walk the other way before I even moved the reins to start my turn. Louie pivoted basically on his own so he could follow Dada.

No comments: